- Allen will be moderating the media panel at the P.U.R.E Travel Collaborative Road Show on Oct. 7 at Seattle's Pan Pacific Hotel. P.U.R.E Green Travel Road Show
- Allen will be participating on the Olympic Peninsula Tourism Summit media panel on Oct. 19 in Port Townsend, Washington. Olympic Peninsula Tourism Summit
Scroll down to learn about Allen's work in magazine articles, editing guidebooks, speaking engagements and workshops, commercial copywriting/editing, and about his background and professional affiliations.
Read Allen's guest blog post, "Wooing the Media," on the Calyx Sustainable Tourism website.
Working Writer Newsletter featured Allen in an article in Oct. 2010.
Read Allen's interview in Success With Writing.
Allen's blog: Local Roads.
Background and Affiliations
Allen's professional affiliations include:
- Board of Directors for International Food, Wine, and Travel Writers Assoc. (IFWTWA)
- Chair of IFWTWA's Excellence/Scholarship Awards Committee
- Planning Team for Pacific Northwest Travel Writers Conference
- Member, Society of Professional Journalists
Besides freelance journalism, Allen's professional background is in Marketing Management, and he holds a Bachelor of Science degree.
- Member, International Travel Writer's Association
Feature Articles and Guidebooks
Allen's second hiking guidebook for Falcon Guides, Best Easy Day Hikes - Tacoma, was released in May 2010. Best Easy Day Hikes - Seattle was published in 2009. He is working on a proposal for a new travel guidebook.
Allen's magazine work includes travel, food, arts, profile, lifestyle, business, profile, and outdoors articles. Skip to the Downloadable Clips and E-Clips pages for a list of publishers Allen has written for and to read selected clips.
Commercial Copywriting and Editing
Besides journalism, Allen has a career background in customer relationship management, marketing, public relations and process management. He channels 30 years of experience into a full menu of commercial writing and editing services to help individuals and organizations succeed.
Allen currently serves clients in the advertising, marketing, high tech, food and wine, manufacturing, management consulting, and health care industries.
Allen's commercial copywriting/editing specialties include:
• newsletter articles
• copy for promo and marketing materials
• web copy
• press releases
• business and marketing plans
Allen will provide copywriting samples and client references upon request.
Public Speaking and Workshops
As a magazine editor, book author and published magazine writer, Allen
brings an industry insider's perspective to speaking, panel, workshop
and moderator engagements. He is available for speaking engagements, to conduct workshops, and to participate on or moderate media panels.
Allen has experience speaking at writers conferences and related media events. He has both participated on and moderated media panels, including Pacific Northwest Travel Writers Conferences. He customizes workshops by audience and topic (on both business and craft); some past topics have included "Writing About Sustainable Travel" and "Budget Friendly Travel Research."
If you're interested in a proposal and bid, or a pro bono or quid pro quo arrangement, please e-mail Allen with the details.